GNM Nursing Course
GNM stands for General Nursing and Midwifery. It is a 3.5 years diploma-level course that is suitable for those who want to make their career in clinical nursing and other aspects of the nursing field.
Mainly, it is 3.5 years course but it is divided into 3 years course and 6 months of internship training which is mandatory. Moreover, students get a chance to do internships in Medical homes, hospitals, private firms, and companies. The work of GNM nurses is to assist the doctors and help patients while treatment.
The Admission process of the GNM Course is done through the entrance exam which is at the state level. Almost, all the states in India conduct entrance exams for admission but some states took admission on the basis of merits which students got in the 12th standard.
Why Pursue GNM Nursing?
There are many reasons why to pursue GNM Nursing courses. It plays an important role in the healthcare sector and assists the patients with the help of medical facilities. The work of GNM nurses is to provide efforts towards society.
The syllabus of a GNM Nursing course is both means it has theoretical knowledge and training activity so that students can easily understand the concept and acquire basic knowledge. This course is specially designed to become fully-fledged nursing professionals.
Who Should Pursue GNM Nursing?
- Students who are interested or want to make a career in nursing or the medical field can pursue GNM Nursing Courses.
- It is a respectable service that provides a career with noble intentions.
- Those who are passionate or want to serve society will definitely go for a GNM Nursing Course.
Types of GNM Nursing
There are mainly three common types of GNM courses that basically Persued in India. These are-
- Basic GNM:-The first type of GNM Nursing course is Basic GNM. It is a four-year college education that prepares the understudies to get nursing aptitudes to regulate the necessary information and abilities giving exhaustive nursing care to the patients for different sorts of illnesses. The course is uniquely shaped to make general attendants who can effectively act in the wellbeing group in different emergency clinics and different associations.
The course goes on for quite a long time, where competitors need to come through 10+2 tests with a science stream with at least 40% total imprints. Additionally, the age of the applicants ought to be between 17 to 35 years. Likewise, it is essential for each understudy to be restoratively fit.
- Post-Basic GNM:-Competitors in the post-fundamental GNM or post-essential BSc Nursing investigate progressed information. This information is delivered through homeroom alongside instructive visits and clinical lessons. There is a decent extent of post-essential GNM. Up-and-comers can land positions at nursing instructive establishments, facilities, general wellbeing communities, and so forth The span of the essential variant of this course goes on for quite a long time, while the standard form of this course goes on for a considerable length of time.
- Distance GNM:-The last type of GNM Nursing course is Distance GNM. As GNM is a Midwifery course that requires highly technical professional knowledge and the scope of this is also very limited. So, some colleges offer Distance facilities for doing GNM nursing courses.
Eligibility criteria for GNM course
The eligibility criteria to pursue a GNM Nursing course in India are-
- Students are required to complete class 12 with the biology stream as it is related to Human study but some colleges also provide admissions in GNM courses to the Non-bio students (Arts, commerce).
- A candidate should get at least 50% marks in class 12th with any stream but some colleges ask for a minimum of 60% marks in class 12th.
- After that, they have to score minimum marks in the entrance exam of the GNM nursing course to get admission. The minimum marks criterion varies from college to college.
Admission Process for applying GNM Nursing
As previously discussed, the Admission process of the GNM Course is done through the entrance exam which is at the state level, but some states took admission on the basis of merits which students got in the 12th standard. The process of admission might be affected due to covid. Following are the requirements to apply for the GNM nursing course-
- Those who want to apply for the GNM course must complete class 12 with the Biology stream and those who still have not completed class 12 can also apply for it.
- If the score of the candidates meets the criterion of the college that they planned for so they need to fill out the application form and deposit the admission fees.
Syllabus of GNM Nursing course
- First Aid
- Personal Hygiene
- Communicable Diseases
- Orthopedic Nursing
- Computer Education
- Midwifery and Gynecology
- Community Health Nursing – II
- Pediatric Nursing
- Educational Methods and Media for Teaching in Practice of Nursing (EMMTM)
- 6-month Internship
Top Job Profiles
Following are the top job profile that students became after pursuing GNM Nursing course-
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Legal Nurse Consultant
- Forensic Nurse
- Traveling Nurse
Top Recruiters for GNM Nurses
Following are the top job recruiters in India who provide golden opportunities to the newbies in the field of Nursing-
- Apollo Hospitals
- Fortis Hospitals
- Fortis Healthcare
- Medanta Hospital
Read More :- ANM Course Full Information
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ques.1 What to do after pursuing GNM?
Ans.1 After pursuing the GNM Nursing course, many students continue their job in the nursing field. But, those who are not satisfied or want to study further, so they can pursue higher studies like BSc nursing, MSc nursing and also have the option to choose MBBS course. For doing MBBS, they have to appear in NEET exam.
Ques.2 Is GNM and ANMNursing course are same or different?
Ans.2 GNM Nursing course and ANM nursing course both are similar but not the same. GNM is a 3.5 years course that focuses on overall nursing and midwifery aspects whereas the ANM nursing course is a 2-year course that mainly focuses on maternal care and nursing in rural and backward areas.
Ques.3 How to pursue MBBS after completing the GNM Nursing course?
Ans.3 For those who want to pursue MBBS after the GNM course, they are mandatory to appear in the NEET exam and easily get the Admission in MBBS field. Many colleges in India provide opportunities to the GNM Nursing students to do an MBBS course in the same college and also reserves some seats of MBBS course for GNM nursing students.
Ques.4 What are the specializations related to GNM nursing courses?
Ans.4 GNM nursing has the following specializations like Alternate Medicine, Critical Care technology, Surgery, and Midwifery nursing.
Ques.5 Can Arts students pursue a GNM course?
Ans.5 Yes, of course, art stream students can also pursue a GNM course. However, many colleges in India offer GNM courses to the art field students and some don’t mean they require class 12th from the Biology stream.
Ques.6 GNM Nursing course fee ?
Ans .6 Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery is a 3-year programme followed by a 6-month internship. The fee for a GNM course can range anywhere between Rs. 25000 – Rs. 1,500,00 annually, depending upon the GNM college in UP or GNM university in UP.
Ques.7. Which nursing course is best?
Ans 7.Undoubtedly, if a person wants to make a magnificent career in the sphere of the healthcare industry, then B.sc Nursing course is better than General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM). In the matter of career growth, higher studies, and salary the value of B.sc Nursing is more than General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM) course.